Project MBA

Can a young, single mom get into a top MBA program? Can she also qualify for the Boston Marathon the same year?These are the online musings of a crazy, newb m0m on a mission...!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

There really is a reason that I started this blog. I want to go to business school. That seems like a relatively benign goal but it's actually quite huge for someone like me. I am a single mom of three teenage boys but more than that I fully support them all by myself. No child support, no monetary contributions from any family members --just me. Ok, so that's not completely amazing. I am the only person in my family to have ever graduated from college and I will be the only person to have ever gone on to get a master's degree. Not only is there little or no education in my family there is also little or no sanity. There has been a high degree of mental illness, alcoholism, drug addiction, and various other unconventional ways of coping with life. My family has been such a dysfunctional group that in order to preserve my own mental health I was forced to estrange myself from them and essentially live now as though all my family were dead. That probably sounds odd and strange to the average person but, to the contrary, I find it extremely healthy and liberating. I was able to disengage from the guilt and the lonliness that often accompanies not having family available for holidays and birthdays because that feeling was actually better than the distress of having to deal with them on a regualr basis. So, my family tree was replanted and it's me and my three boys. Very exciting! But back to Business school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home